Why You Need to Clean Your Chimney Regularly
Having a fireplace in the house is one of the most popular of all amenities that people look for in a new home these days. However, not everyone who has a fireplace realizes that there is an important need to understand that you MUST maintain the cleanliness of your fireplace and the chimney, especially.
Many people may not realize but there is a hidden danger that not everyone knows about or some don’t think that it is as serious as it really is. The danger involves chemicals (mostly pesticides) that are found deep inside the firewood that is used to burn inside most wood-burning fireplaces.
When this chemical that is burned and released into the smoke it forms a sticky substance called Creosote.
What makes Creosote so dangerous?
What makes Creosote so dangerous is two-fold, one you cannot see it as the logs are burning and the other thing is that it is coating the inside of your chimney and you do not even know that it is there.
Creosote is extremely sticky, but it is also highly flammable so that if too much builds up inside your fireplace.
So, the more you use the fireplace and burn wood, the more of this dangerous Creosote that will be building up on the inside of your chimney.
With all of that highly flammable substance all over the inside of the chimney you could end up with a fire and before you know it you entire chimney and possibly your attic could be engulfed in flames